banner

banner

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Nothing to Something, Rejected to Accepted

Yup, just movin right on through the New Testament!
Let's talk about Peter.
Jesus' bff.
He wrote these 2 letters to the new believers.
Encouraging letters like Paul's.
Peter was bold. He always said what was on his mind which I guess is why His letters are so short.
He gets straight to the point.

Here are some pieces of Peter's letter that I wrote in my journal.
I'm also including what they mean to me.
Andddd we're off:

As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God's life, a life energetic & blazing with holiness. God said, "I am holy, you be holy." 1:15-16
     Simple. To the point. I am to be as God. I am to strive to be like him. To be holy.

You call out to God for help & he helps--he's a good father that way.  But don't forget he's also responsible & won't let you get by with sloppy living. 1:17
     Comforting. He is there for me & he won't let me stray too far.

The old life is a grass life, it's beauty as short-lived as wildflowers;  Grass dries up, flowers droop, God's word goes on forever. 1:24
     All these earthly things I put so much stock into really don't matter. So when things don't work out how I want them to or when I feel left out...so what? It isn't what is important.

Drink deep of God's pure kindness.  Then you'll grow up mature & whole in God. 2:3
     Easier said than done right? But if I can keep coming back to this, then maybe I will gradually catch on.

But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God's instruments to do his work & speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you.  From nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.  2:9-10
    Hallelujah! What a difference. Keep working in me. Keep changing me.  I will forever proclaim you!

Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in ti.  Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.  2:11
     Don't be an Esau.  Don't trade in eternity for a warm bowl of stew.  Keep the kingdom on your mind.

Now you're named & kept for good by the shepard of your souls. 2:25
     He wants me! He wants me for good! Oh how he loves me...

Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble.  3:8
    Can I get these tattooed on my forehead?

Through thick & thin keep your hearts at attention, in adoration before Christ, your master.  Be ready to speak up & tell anyone who asks why you are living the way you are, & always with the utmost courtesy. 3:14-16 (ish)
     Actions speak louder than words.  Francis Chan once said "People should know you are Christian not by following the rules, but by being overcome with love."

Think of your sufferings as a weaning from that old sinful habit of always expecting to get your own way.  Then you'll be able to live out your days free to pursue what God wants instead of being tyrannized by what you want! 4:1-2
    Please Lord! Put me through suffering! If thats what it takes to rid myself of me, do it. I don't like her. I don't like old me. I want you! I want to pursue a life free of my old self.

Care for God's flock with all the diligence of a shepard.  Not because you have to, but because you want to please GOd.  Not calculating what you can get out of it, but acting spontaneously.  Not bossily telling others what to do, but tenderly showing them the way. 5:2-3
     LOVE. Not hate. LOVE. Red & yellow, black & white, straights & gays, religious & non-religious...Love them as Christ does.

God has had it with the proud, but takes delight in just plain people.  5:5
     Stay under the radar.  It is in solitude that he speaks to us.

Keep a cool head.  Stay alert.  The devil is poised to pounce & would like nothing better than to catch you napping. 5:8
     And I am ashamed to admit that he has.  He knows how to get me & he keeps coming back for more. But I will be ready now. I will not be giving in again.


No comments:

Post a Comment