banner

banner

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Outsiders

{Hebrews 13:10-15}

So I am going to talk about Young Life again (it's my passion ok?!)

I have been reading straight through the New Testament.
One morning a few weeks ago I just picked up my Bible (The Message version) opened it to Thessalonians, & started reading!
It's been really great. I have been making a list everyday of 5 reasons I love Jesus. Sometimes it's more than 5.
I just find 5 things in the scriptures I read that remind me of how awesome my Lord is.
It's an idea I got from Tom Job, whom I love! Check him out here

Anyway, I have made it to Hebrews this week.
I love Hebrews. Especially chapter 11.  I usually dwell in chapter 11, but I moved on to chapter 13 & WOWSERS....some of this stuff hit me like a ton of bricks!
Verses 10-15 is talking about being outsiders. Not being part of the religious restrictions that followers were facing as a new church in those days, but instead embracing Christ's resurrection, preparing for his return, & living differently than everyone else.
Here is what it meant to me:

As Young Life leaders, we are NOT insiders.
What we do is so very foreign to most everyone else.
It just doesn't make much sense.
"You 'hangout' with high school kids? What do you mean?" or "What do you do all day?"
I get asked those questions a lot.
The most annoying one is, "Why do you do Young Life? Those kids just party all the time. They don't go to church!" (a question that pretty much answers itself).

But as Young Life leaders, we are definitely on the outside.
We are not affiliated with any church, we don't have a beautiful establishment, & we don't hang out with the clean-cut kids.
We hang out with the outsiders!
It confuses most people.

We are outside, in the muck & grime of life, we are usually outside of our comfort zone, we are outside the norm of youth ministry, we stand outside the school waiting to talk to kids for even a second, we hangout outside at sporting events, & most people believe we are out of our minds! 
To them I say, "Yes! And i wouldn't want it any other way!"

Hebrews says "So let's go outside, where Jesus is, where the action is -- not trying to be privileged insiders, but taking our share in the abuse of Jesus. This 'insider world' is not our home. Lets take our place outside, with Jesus."
Jesus is on the outside! All the action is on the outside! There is nothing worth having as a privileged insider & the inside world is not our true home.

I guess you can decide for yourself what it looks like in your life to be on the outside.
I think for me it mostly means sticking with Young Life & not worrying about being popular, or giving in to the temptations that make me just like everyone else.
It's something I definitely struggle with.
But Hebrews makes being an outside look so inviting! (so does the picture below)

If Jesus is on the outside, that's where I want to be too.

This band NEEDTOBREATH has a song that talks about embracing the lifestyle of an outsider. It's a great song. Listen to it!



Also, because I read books & watch movies a lot....I couldn't help but think of one of my favorite stories, The Outsiders.  Too bad I don't look as cool as they do! 


No comments:

Post a Comment