banner

banner

Friday, June 29, 2012

Jilly


Everyone has a gross part of them, I guess we just kind of have to accept that and let Christ redeem it. Say "Hello part of me that is me, I anknowlegde your presence, meet my friend Jesus." -Jill Holt





I talk about Young Life on here fairly often. Ok maybe more than fairly.
I have mentioned the ups & downs, some of the great things that have come of it, and def the tough things.
But I have never mentioned Jill.
Young Life gave me Jill.


She is 2 years younger than me & I couldn't tell you the first time we met.
It had to have been at QUEST (new leader) gathering her freshman year, but I don't remember it.
Jill does though. She said I looked scary.
She ended up being placed on my team where, thankfully, I eventually became less scary to her.


Jill is anything but ordinary.
In her room she has the following: a sign that says "what happened at deer camp, never happened."Moose posters. Peyton Manning's Wheatie's box cover proudly on display. A porcelain goose that has outfits for holidays. A jack-a-lope. A hula-hoop. And various other rarities. 
Sometimes, Jill puts on her helmet while she's in the house because it feels nice. Sometimes she puts it on, along with knee pads, elbow pads, shin pads, & gloves, & pogo's down our street. 
Jill eats soggy cereal every morning. Usually standing up.
She won't eat anything after brushing her teeth.
She has a weakness for Bold Party Chex Mix & boys that are slightly nerdy.
Jill is my best friend.


Those qualities I listed above definitely contribute to making Jill who she is & I love all of those things about her.
But it isn't those characteristics, no matter how unique, that set her apart from most people.
It's the way that she cares.
The way that she goes through life with no chip on her shoulder, no bad thoughts about anyone, always assuming the best of people, & forgiveness unending.
Christ asks us to believe with a child like faith, & I think Jill is the only person I know that lives her life that way.


I don't deserve a friend like this. I drag her into my mess.  Into the black hole that is my mind.  I keep her up late at night with the thoughts whirling around in that abyss I call my brain, but she listens & she talks things through with me. 
She tells me I'm ok, no matter how psycho I am acting & is patient with me when I am moody.


Jill doesn't say nearly as much as I do (I talk a lot. I blame my dad).
But that just means that when she mentions something, it is of the utmost importance.
She's at YL camp in Colorado right now, but her job is in the office so we are able to email back & forth every day.
I wouldn't make it 4 weeks without talking to her!
The quote at the opening of this entry was in a recent email I received from her.
Short & to the point!
But isn't it so true?
So with it I say this:


Hi psycho/insecure/popularity seeking/ugly thought having/rebellious part of me! Meet Jesus!
And Jesus, thank you for Jilly!




Jill is far left. My dear, sweet friend Katie is center, & yours truly is on the right. These are our favorite t-shirts. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment