banner

banner

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

How to be a better human

I've moved.
Just about a mile away from my old place, but I feel like I'm in a different world!
My little apartment is one of two that just sit right on top of one another in an old house.
It is quaint & charming, just like me;)
I have a little side porch, exposed rafters in the living room, & beautiful glass doorknobs on all the doors!
Yes, it's old, but I prefer most things to be that way.
The best part is that I turned one of the two bedrooms into my art studio!
My big yellow chair sits by a window, all my supplies are organized & can be accessed easily as opposed to being stored under by bed, one corner possess my easel & my paints, the other, my Grandfather's old drafting board! (ps: Poppa has been a cartoonist for 50+ years, He's kind of a big deal)

I guess the best part isn't actually my studio.
It's the fact, that after almost 2 years of panic attacks & fear of being alone, I live by myself & I LOVE IT!
No doing anyone else's dishes, no worrying about playing my music too loud, & mo one around to use up all the hand soap then not buy a new one! (My previous roommates were actually really great people & those are the only little things I could think to complain about)
Anyways, I feel so lucky to have found this vintage place.
I am busy adding new things, painting new canvases for the walls, & rearranging furniture.

I have decided to go without TV & internet at my new home.
It's something I have though about a lot & this was the perfect chance to say farewell to Charter & be free!
I wasn't very connected anyway.
I don't have a smart phone or an iPad or Kindle & the most TV I watched was through Hulu online.
I just couldn't justify paying $60 a month to check Facebook/Twitter, which is almost always depressing.
Instead, I have come up with a list of things to do with all this spare time that I have (because I did check Facebook/Twitter fairly often).
So far, SO GOOD.
I can already see the positive effects that my new list & my scarce internet use is having on my life as a whole.
So here it is:

HOW TO BE A BETTER HUMAN
1. No interent. 
2. No TV
3. Write more letters
4. Paint more
5. Learn to play the guitar (My friend Marilee gave me one for free!)
6. Listen to new music
7. Try new recipes
8. Be outside (I found a book about hikes in the Smokies that I plan on putting to good use!)
9.Read more books
10. Give things away
11. Forgive & Forget (that takes some conscious thought y'all)
12. Be intentional about encouraging others
13. Get out of my comfort zone (How is the question...) 
14. Give things away
15. Avoid TJMaxx at all costs (Nothing personal TJ, you've always been good to me)
16. Run hard after Jesus


PS: I visit the Young Life office once a day to use the internet. It's within walking distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment