banner

banner

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I Believe in a Thing Called Love

The most wonderful, happy thing happened last night.  My roommate, Katie, got engaged!!
Her boyfriend, now fiance, proposed to her in the middle of Tai food restaurant where they met up for dinner after about 2 months of not being together.
Does this sound crazy? YES!
Katie and Luke's story is pretty incredible (you can read more about it here).
It is definitely one straight out of the movies.
I kind of hate to say that, because movies aren't at all real, they tend to be cheesy, and they give false expectations.
But Katie's story is SO genuine and so unpredictable that it can't be anything but perfectly true.

The most beautiful thing about the whole situation is God's faithfulness.
Through her hurt and pain, Katie chose to trust in Him.
She didn't understand why she and Luke broke up and it hurt her beyond belief.
We're talking physical pain right now.
That pain that just sits in your gut, throbs, aches, and makes you want to cry and scream all at once, all day long.
But she got control of her emotions and handed the situation over to Christ, believing that His will and purpose will lead her into the life that she is meant to have.
She never stopped loving Luke, but she let go of the situation and put it in God's hands.
Little did she know that the man that broke her heart, was spending their time apart praying for guidance and trying to figure out how to win her back once and for all.
And he did.

Last night was one of the happiest nights of the lives of everyone involved.  To see Katie happy again, to see her smile, REALLY smile, and laugh, and cry, and jump was the most precious sight.
It was like she had been holding her breath for 8 weeks now, afraid of falling completely to pieces, and now she's alive again!!
God is so good.

If you know me at all, you will know that I am in no rush to get married.
My parents didn't exactly give me a reason to believe that marriage is worth it and I am still working on overcoming the "relationship roadblocks" that developed in the wake of their storms.
I am not obsessed with weddings or guys or all the fluffy, girly things that so many around here seem to dwell on and I am not always on the prowl for a boyfriend.
There are many people in my life who are in relationships that I just can't take seriously because it doesn't appear to me to be anything more than two people playing house, or two people making their lives work together to fit into this "Cleaver-esque" lifestyle.
So many people force relationships because they feel they are not worth anything unless they have a boyfriend.
So many people around here LIVE to get married. They seem to be under the impression that life doesn't even begin till you have a ring on your left hand and a mortgage to pay.
These relationships are formed by people with control issues, people who are used to getting everything they want, so they make their perfect, american dream, relationship happen.
To them, being married is a goal they must achieve
Just something else to mark off the 'to do' list.
Katie and Luke are NOT these people.
There is something so pure and genuine about the way they went about being in a relationship.

Those other people unrightfully pity me, because I'm not in a serious relationship.
It is unfathomable to them that there is happiness outside of one.
I cannot say enough that my future might be the only thing that I don't lose sleep over.
I have complete faith in the fact that if I give my life away for Christ to use for His purpose, that He will bless me with what he sees fit.
If I obey Him, if I dwell in Him, He isn't going to lead me astray.
I don't know if His plan for me includes a relationship, or marriage, or children, or TOMORROW!!
But I'm ok with that.
I have found contentment and happiness in Him.

I love what I do.
I love working with high school kids, I love watching Christ change their lives, I love being the one that gets to show them that there is a better life out there.
I don't mind dropping everything to hang out with them, infact I prefer to.
My relationships with my high school friends mean the world to me.
I want to give Christ my all, so that they can see and feel and experience His love.
The one love that is unconditional, never fails, and can complete us.
Agape love.
That is what is most important to me right now.

Maybe you think I sound bitter and jaded.
But you would be wrong.
I believe in love 100%.
I have experienced it.
I can hear it in the way Katie talks about Luke.
But because I have seen the "for worse" in a marriage (as couples often refer to in their vows), I know that marriage is nothing to be taken lightly.
If it happens for me, I want it to be because God placed someone into my life at the right time, we fell in love at the right time, and because we absolutely cannot imagine life without the other.
Not because I graduated college and thats the next step in life.

I do believe in true love.
I embrace it.
I want a story about crazy, mad love like Katie and Luke's.
I believe in fairytale endings and knights in shining armor.
But I also believe in letting Christ take the reigns and trusting Him with my future.

Congratulations Katie and Luke!
Your story is unique, inspiring, and strong,
I am proud of you both for stepping back from what you wanted to search for what the Lord wanted.
I'm SO glad he wanted you to be together too!
=)


PS: just to prove that I am romantic, check out this heart warming story that I read months ago and saved to my favorites page so that I can be reminded that "happily ever after" really does exist. The Yeager's Story and FYI it's definitely bittersweet.


"You have bewtiched me body & soul, and I love you" -Mr. Darcy, Pride & Prejudice the movie

No comments:

Post a Comment