banner

banner

Monday, November 7, 2011

Facebook Free

List of reasons I will no longer be on Facebook:

1. Facebook is fake. As my roommate Amy put it, "Facebook isn't even real. People only display the best parts about themselves." Good word Amy! This statement couldn't be any truer. And I am not leaving myself out of this. Most of us don't leave any unflattering picture untagged, we judge our statuses by how many people liked them, we post what the people want to see. There is little truth to Facebook. I am NOT my Facebook, trust me. The skeletons in my closet are still safely tucked away in the closet, not on display for all to see on the internet. And my skeletons aren't even scary, imagine all the people using Facebook who really do have things to hide!

2. I'd rather talk to you in person. If you really want to know what kind of person I am, don't read my info page on Facebook, pick up the phone and talk to me! We all make snap judgments based on the little information that we see on someone's page or even have a skewed idea of compatibility with someone because we both like 'John Mayer' in our music section. I value real relationships. The friendships that are worthwhile do not thrive because of Facebook, but because we spend quality time together. Basically 3/4 of my friends on Facebook are people that have nothing to do with my life on a daily basis anymore.

3. Boys are creepers. I'm tired of boys using Facebook as a way to hit on me. I didn't reply to your first message and I'm not replying to the 13th one either.

4. I don't care. There are some things that happen in life that should not be shared with the world. It depresses me to read all the ignorant things being shared through Facebook. I also hate to see things on my news feed about people that hurt me in the past. I'm woman enough to admit that some things still get to me and I'd rather not be reminded of bad situations.

5. I can do better things with my time. I don't feel as if I was addicted to Facebook, but once I got on, I was totally lost down the rabbit hole. I want to do better things with my life. I used to read all the time, I want to do that again! I want to learn how to play the guitar, how to be a great cook, I want to paint more, to be outside as much as possible, and to work on those worthwhile relationships I mentioned earlier.

So those are my top 5 reasons for deleting my Facebook.
I'm not judging people that keep one, not at all.
It just wasn't healthy for me personally.

Just some extra information: Last year I conducted my senior research project on Cyberbullying. Many of the articles I used in my paper pointed to Facebook as a primary means of internet bullying. I'll never forget reading that Cyberbullying can be more dangerous than physical bullying because of the content kids fill their Facebook with. As I said earlier, we all display our best qualities on Facebook. When kids are bullied online, when they are rejected, teased, made to look like a fool, or harassed online, it is doubly hurtful because they have put on display the things that are most important to them. Online, kids are being rejected for who they really are, as opposed to being bullied at school where, lets be honest, no one is ever completely themselves. This is why I hate to see so many young children on the Facebook network.

I'm not trying to say that Facebook is evil, just that maybe it shouldn't be taken so lightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment