banner

banner

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Family Jewels

I stumbled across the most encouraging thought as I got ready for work this morning.
I was almost ready, just needed to put some jewelry on before walking out the door.
Now when it comes to accessories, my collection is not lacking! Just the other day I bought 3 new pairs of earrings. Didn't need them, but I felt as if my ears just had to have them!
The sad truth is though, that it is only occasionally that I spend time sifting through earrings, bracelets, necklaces, to pick out ones that compliment todays outfit.
I have my go to pieces that are always worn & most days, thats just what I stick with!

I'm a gold girl. I don't really wear a lot of silver unless the outfit calls for it.
I just feel that gold is warmer & that it accents my skin tone. But this is all just back story.
My go to pieces aren't necessarily my favorites because of how they look, although I do think they are pretty, but they are my top picks more so because of where they came from.

I wear two rings on my right hand. One, is my mom's birthstone,a piercing green, Peridot, for August.  It was her ring for a very long time, but she gave it to me a few years ago & it's always on my ring finger.
The other is my great-grandmother's class ring from1922!
Her name was Mary Barbour Daniel & she lived to be 105!
I like to wear these rings close together because it reminds me of the sweet relationship my mom had with her grandmother, whom we all affectionately called Honey.
Honey was the family matriarch.  She held us together.  It was in her warm home that we spent time learning about the past, catching up with family members we didn't see as often, or just sitting on the porch, listening to cicada's in the summer.
She was kind & gracious, loving & gentle, wise & vibrant. She was my mother's favorite person. I credit her to helping my mom turn out to be the most wonderful lady I know! I see much of my own mom in Honey, which I think she would love to hear.


On my left wrist I wear 3 bracelets. They were given to me by my grandmothers.  Two more women that I love & cherish. Grandmom, from my dad's side, is one of my best friends.  She & I are two pea's in a pod! We look alike, have the same sense of humor, & it's because of her that I'm such a 'sharp' card player! Nannie, from my mom's side, always reminds me to be a proper young lady.  If it wasn't for her, I'd probably be covered in tattoos.  Which, my apologies to Nannie, might happen anyway.
the scroll ring is also my mother's

My most recent addition to my collection of favorites has been my necklace from Brooke McMinn.
For my birthday this year, she bought me a Diana Warner necklace.  Brooke is not only my co-worker, but close friend, & even though she would hate this term, my mentor.  Other than my own mom, I would have to say that Brooke is the most beautifully genuine, Christ-loving woman on the planet. She has taught & is teaching me so much about life. I am so thankful for her friendship.

I guess my encouraging thought was that even when I feel alone, or feel like I am weak, or that I don't have the ability to make a tough decision, that I have all these wonderful women with me everywhere that I go.
They inspire me to be the best version of myself & if I could just remember them more often as the light catches my bangles or my rings, then perhaps I could live up to that best me.

No comments:

Post a Comment